Tools For Business
For the online entrepreneur, there needs to be a beginning.
Just click on the product links to shop for the exact thing you need.
Disclaimer. This post contains affiliate links. I'd appreciate the support, as everything listed below has been used by myself and are recommended tools for the you the visitor.
These sections are useful for office desk equipment, tools for selling things online, and website services that can make things easier. Below should help you find what you need.
Best Tools For The Seller Online
Getting prepared before embarking on the selling of products journey is important. If you're missing essential tools, it could take a day or more of time before being able to take another selling step. These setbacks could slow things down and affect shipping times negatively as a beginner. Other non-essential tools are less needed to begin. Be smart and get ready beforehand.
For eBay or Amazon, here are tools for preparing and shipping physical products.
Let's begin with the essential tools for product sales ...
Brother HL-L2360DW Laser Printer
This printer works great over the long haul. It can really last a long time on the included toner cartridge. For online selling platforms, it is invaluable when shipping is a part of what one does.
As to the apparently low yield of 700 pages for the included toner cartridge, the lifetime of the original cartridge I used lasted well over 2 full years! Results may vary of course.
- Can print black/white documents up to 32 pages per minute.
- The yield of the included toner cartridge is approximately 700 pages.
- Has a large 250-sheet tray for an extended time of not having to refill.
- A one year limited warranty may be included with this.
- Provides both wired and wireless networking. For wireless, the standard of WPA2-PSK (AES) is available.
- Buying a toner cartridge for the replacement is found to be very easy to install.
- Go into the Toner Save mode for using less toner and to save money, before printing less critical business things.
- Print two-sided documents. Produce professional two-sided results, brochures and booklets with the automatic duplex printing feature.
The next thing is the toner sold separately. Remember this printer does include an original toner cartridge though, that may last 2 full years or even longer. Buy the extra toner later if needed.
Brother TN660 2,600 Page Toner
The toner here may even go further than the one provided in the laser printer. This genuine Brother model works great for multiple Brother laser printers.
- Works for approximately 16 Brother products and has the great high-yield black toner that can print up to 2,600 pages! That's a great amount that should suit the small seller for quite some time.
- Easy to install. You could even take the old one and recycle it with the new boxing and wrapper, after the new one is placed in the unit. There are places that take this sort of thing.
- As this doesn't cost too much for the life span, if you don't print massive amounts of paper then this could easily last one year, two years, or perhaps more.
The Scotty Peeler Set for Label Removal
Another invaluable toolkit component for an online physical goods seller. All it takes is one moment of being frustrated when trying to remove old store stickers or labels to realize their worth.
- Great ratings on these. They are very basic but reveal many pleased individuals that like them.
- These last years and years. Something that costs minimal yet goes the distance! Get 'em before you have need, especially if dealing with selling physical goods.
- When included, the bonus SP-2 works nice for metal and glass.
- If you ever pick up an old valuable book, this is but one example for easy removal of the sticker label.
Accuteck 110-Pound Digital Scale
Whether an Amazon or eBay seller, this is an absolute necessity. You'll probably need to weigh packages before sending them out, regardless of the platform preference. And since as a beginner it's easier to sell on an existing platform with customers, having this scale is the way to go. It supports packages of great weight, over 100 lbs. if needed.
- Stable horizontal base. When placing things on top, they shouldn't shift around or go uneven. Just place scale on flat surface and everything is ready to go. Holds things quite easily.
- Shows pounds and ounces (16 ounces per pound). Very exacting with the weight needed before shipping the products. The digital portion shows nice and large with easy reading capability.
- Holds around 110 lbs. maximum. If going with Amazon, they accept boxes up to 50 lbs. maximum, unless specifying as a special team-lift kind of delivery. For most cases though, this scale is a great option.
- Lasts a long time. The digital output can be plugged into a power source, and alternately work with batteries. One of these scales last easily over 3-4 years or longer (experience with this).
The Measuring Tape
Having a measuring tape will help immensely. Make sure it's long enough to get the dimensions off of big packages, maybe even to run across the circumference also. Having one of the flexible variety is most helpful. Get one of at least 4-10 feet in length.
- A flexible and portable measure tape. This soft one can measure straight and curved surfaces just fine.
- Being dual sided is helpful for quick readings. Saves time and also measures in both inches and centimeters.
- The measuring range is of 60 inches or 5 feet in length. So this is nice as a cheap beginning option. If you've need of something more later, just upgrade to a longer version when the time is right.
Poly Bags Combo Pack of 400 - Various Sizes
You'll want to stock some inexpensive clear poly bags for shipping things of various sizes. When a selling platform offers warehousing, they could have strict requirements about storage. These bags meet warehouse standards quite nice.
- Very high ratings with multiple reviews online. These have been proven over time to be up to spec.
- Offers dual benefits of being transparent self-sealing poly bags and of having the breathing warning for child safety.
- When sending things to any warehouse, helps against dust and dirt and even moisture.
- When needing to scan barcodes or labels, the see-through quality works just fine and allows the proper scan of included contents. This makes the work of others or of all involved that much easier.
- Here is something else. They're thin yet strong. This could save on shipping costs, as they're not too heavy. The strength makes them hard to tear through, when attempted in some natural way that is.
The 350-Feet Bubble Wrap Roll
There's just too many things that are fragile before mailing. Having large enough bubble wrap rolls are quite important. Of course scissors are also needed to cut the right dimensions, and tape for sealing the wrap if needed. You don't want broken things to be returned, so having this bubble wrap is the right investment.
- Two big rolls of 175 total square feet. Prevent common re-orders by getting two very large rolls all at one time.
- Perforated each 12 inches for easy tear-off convenience if no scissors are nearby.
- 100% recycleable material. Great for caring for the Earth some.
- Nice budget pricing. This one is not as expensive as other related products, plus the amount of wrap is terrific. It works great and holds things in a very stable manner.
The HDX Scissors Set
Useful for cutting tape, boxes, paper labels, and much more.
- A set containing household scissors, one with a wave pattern, craft scissors and maybe more. This one seems to change the offering from time to time. Nevertheless, scissors are necessary and these have worked out great!
- Very durable and lasting. They have dulled some bit over three plus years, but still cut just about everything needing to be altered. For the budget-conscious, this is the correct solution for multiple functions.
The Tape With Easy-Cut
Useful for taping boxes, packages, poly bags, and much more. Having the easy-cut mechanism will save effort over time. No need to take scissors out and cut tape anymore. Of course an absolute necessity with so many multiple uses.
- The dispenser makes rolling and applying the tape a breeze.
- Excellent holding power for heavy-duty packaging. Hey, if it can hold heavy packages then it can hold the weaker stuff. That's why this is preferred for either. You never know when heavy tape will be needed.
- Durable tape is known to resist splitting and tearing. Reduce having to apply layers of tape, as this is quite strong.
- Having tape get stuck on the roll itself wastes time. From experience here, you'll really only need to remove tape from the roll initially. After that, the tape can hang freely on the dispenser itself. This is invaluable of course.
Boxes Of Various Sizes
As an Amazon seller, these are necessary if shipping products to the warehouse system. What happens is that various products are packaged and combined into these large boxes, and then workers sort things out. When something is ordered with 1 or 2 day delivery, it is shipped from the warehouse to the customer. It's a very efficient system.
- Home Depot offers small, medium, large and very large fold-up boxes.
- Heavy duty boxes can also be bought if things seem very heavy or when wanting extra ship safety for fragile things. They can cost a bit more, but not too much.
Now for the non-essential tools for product sales ...
Avery 5160 Address Labels For Laser Printer
These address labels can be used for product labels. It is possible to print these on typing paper. Problems with that include having to cut away each of the 30 on-page labels and put tape on them or even over the barcodes. These are some of the reasons why just buying the self-adhesive product labels as 100 sheets can really help with things.
- Work great with the Brother Laser Printer mentioned as one of the prior necessary tools.
- Having the laser printer with these labels prevents smudge errors. This helps everyone involved in the process identify the products correctly and ship them out in the right manner.
- A few thousand labels here goes a long way. Prevent re-ordering and running out for quite some time.
- Terrific customer reviews. These hold great on envelopes, paper, plastic, cardboard, tin, glass, and metal. Labels remove easily from the original sheet. Can also make personalized labels.
Avery Half Page Shipping Labels
As with product labels, these shipping labels can have plain typing paper as an alternate. However, these come with the sticky back adhesive. Regular paper would need tape over the top. Some delivery destinations prefer looking at the labels without any tape over them. Amazon has been known to prefer no clear tape over the top of these if possible.
- Like the product labels, these ship labels are optimized for laser printers.
- Boxes can be reused after application. Just remove the labels with the Scotty Peeler previously mentioned. This has been tested and removal takes a few seconds of work. This saves money on boxes.
Duck Brand Shrink Wrap Rolls
For sealing together package sets and related things, this plastic wrap works out nicely. There is also another advantage when it comes to saving money. This can serve as an alternate for using tape around some products. For some things it works great for this, and for others not so much.
- These may last a very long time when buying a set of this wrap.
- For selling sets of things, this can be very useful indeed. May even save costs on tape.
- This small stretch or shrink wrap is 5 inches across and 500 feet in length. If sold in a set of six for example, this would be 3000 feet of total length.
Do Not Separate Label Set
For the Amazon seller. If shipping things to some FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) location, this helps the warehouse worker to avoid separating products that should not be divided. For instance, having multiple things in a set that belong together, all in one small box.
- Has strong adhesive with nice sharp print on them.
- These work nicely when selling used products. Sometimes bundles of things can be placed together and sold that way. For example, having related products placed into one set. Then apply the label over packaging.
Sharpie Permanent Markers
For writing on some labels, boxes, or other things. These are great for multi-purpose functions. Getting 'em before you need them is smart. Writing on exterior boxes or elsewhere can assist with identifying things.
- These are cheap enough to get. By having them nearby, processes won't be slowed up if needing these. Avoid unnecessary setbacks and have some ready if the need arises.
- Getting a bigger size allows either fine or broad strokes if needed. As an example, take broad strokes against shipping labels hard to remove. This makes covering old and outdated things rather easy.
- The quick drying ink can be waterproof and smear proof, depending on the specific marker chosen.
The Screwdriver Set Kit
When dealing with used products, these can really be handy. Especially with electronic things, being able to take them apart for testing is quite important. This can be relatively inexpensive according to the lifespan of the kit, but may be something on your radar to buy before beginning to sell certain things.
- Having various sized tools goes a long way, when not having to look around too much for the right driver.
- Getting a durable or lasting screwdriver kit can mean years of right usage for all the work involved. Whether buying cheap or expensive, make sure it's the right thing to begin with according to your preference.
Heavy Tape Roll Dispenser
Great for taping boxes quickly. A smaller portable dispenser was previously mentioned. This heavy one is not very portable, but is standard for the heavy tape roll dispenser variety.
- Tape is inserted from the side and becomes very easy to apply.
- Takes minimal time to learn. After initially getting things, become able to apply tape easily and thoroughly.
- Some of these come with an adjustable brake to control the tension level.
- Some of these also have nice handgrips and finishes. Get one you're okay with.